February 15, 2012

Staying focussed.


As I head deeper into this winter term and find myself having to study for midterms,  I have been getting distracted from anything and everything I find needs to be organized, looked at, read (not academic reading), cleaned or cooked, etc. The problem is that some of these things actually should and need to be done; not right now though but when I actually have leisurely time to do so. My time at this point should be spent solely focusing on school work, doing my best to get good grades and so forth, and figuring out what I want to do once done with this term in terms of work can wait til afterwords.

I think this is happening in part because my subconscious keeps telling my brain that I am almost done with my undergraduate work and will be graduating in the Spring. Seeing as how this is my fifth year doing undergraduate work with no real breaks in between grade school and college, I am finding myself wanting to venture away from academic studies and do some real hands on work in my career field gaining experience. I would like to think that many students in the same point in their lives feel the same way right about now. However, I have many close friends of mine who know exactly what they want to do, going straight to graduate school to become doctors, lawyers, teachers and so on only to go through four to eight more years of schooling.

Over the years I have come to realize that everyone has their own path to follow in life, to eventually end up where they want to be and be content with how the universe placed them there.  Knowing that my journey will be like no other, I stop comparing myself to those around me.  I still do though, tend to want to know exactly which path I should take and worry I will make the wrong decisions for work I choose and head down the wrong career path.

A believer in the theory "all things happen for a reason" I find myself often skeptical of people that put too much faith in this; to just let the world have it's way with them without making any tough decisions. Or if they do make tough decisions they choose quickly and always use this theory as their excuse for bad choices. You know which kind of people I am talking about. There is a difference between this, and being content with where you are in life at the present moment and allowing opportunities to flow into your life.  The latter is what I am trying to currently focus on. I need to allow myself to be open so opportunities may flow into my life that will guide me along my own path. In being open I will no longer be fearful of making mistakes and not succeeding because I know that I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment