September 21, 2013

Summer 2013 Part I: Maui

Blogging during the summer- who has time for that? 

Warm weather, vacations, outdoor activities, projects around the house, family reunions, traveling, romance, gardening, yard sales and thrifting, county fairs and carnivals, concerts...
There are so many better things to do during the summer to keep ones self occupied, instead of sitting in front of a computer on the internet. So that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. 


So exactly what have I been doing?

Well... Right before Mother's Day, my brother in law called and informed me that my older sister and him wanted to fly me home as a surprise present for my mom. Of course I said I would love to. I packed my bags and a few days later drove up to Seattle to visit with some friends for the night, and fly home the next morning.

I ended up staying for about a month, extending my trip to watch my older sister's family's house and my nephews while they vacationed to the Philippines (where my brother in law grew up). 
My little sister Theanna and big sister Leahi.
Leahi & I 
My first night on the Island I spent hanging out with my sisters, walking a beach five minutes away from Leahi's house with cocktails.  I stayed in hiding at my sisters' houses until Mother's Day when my mom planned on coming down to Leahi's house for dinner and her present.  


Here's a video of the surprise!!! 

After Mother's Day I went upcountry to Haiku to stay at my mom and stepdad's house. There's a glimpse of the front, back, and the mini bamboo forest. 
Tory and one of my sister's coworkers being a starfish
One of my best friend's I met in college from Seattle was also on Maui vacationing with family so we got a chance to catch up. I also got to meet some of Theanna's new friends and coworkers at . 
Leahi, me, and Theanna enjoying a cocktail and pupus (Hawaiian appetizers) after thrifting.
(We all got ready separately and hadn't planned on wearing purple. )
 But of course spending time with my family is what I cherished most. 

Spending time with my cousin Zari was extra special because I got to finally meet her son Kellan and do some wedding location scouting. This November I will be the maid of honor in her wedding to her high school sweetheart! 

The native Hawiian warrior plant A'ali'i
My time on Maui finally aligned with Maui Dryland Restoration Group's monthly volunteer trip to Auwahi. I was able to go back to the remote part of the island I once volunteered and worked in all the time. They truly are an incredible nonprofit, and being able to see their progress since I moved to Oregon was remarkable!

Getting to spend time with my two sisters who happen to be dogs was amazing as always. Our chocolate lab that grew up with me since she was a pup is getting old, 
so I cherish the days I still have with her. 

I went hiking ADVENTURING with my mom and nephew Chase while home and it ended up raining on us- so I turned into a rain forest fairy. 
He and I made everything into an adventure while I watched him.  

We made 'almost' daily smoothies together! He tried some green smoothie creations I made for him- and loved them :) 

My mom and I spent some relaxing quality time together walking beaches. 

My sister Theanna and I drove out to Hana to adventure and spend time together
on one of my last days there. 

Objects in mirror are happier than they appear.
Overall, my last minute surprise visit to Maui was an amazing trip full of GRATITUDE! 


No comments:

Post a Comment